Monday 25 November 2013

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (No Butter, Egg-free)

Sooooooo, I am a student. 


I am currently approaching exam season AND my fridge is quite scarce. There are two main problems that I can identify from this current situation.
The problem with exam season is that well, it is always around Christmas time....

Downtown last year during Christmas :)







WHAT. 
THE. 
HECK.



How am I supposed to concentrate while there is snow falling, Michael Buble serenading me with Christmas carols, peppermint mochas around and....a strong desire in me to bake.




Secondly, I don't have eggs in my fridge. Cookies and cakes tend to have eggs in them. Great. Also, I don't have any chocolate chips. UM. That is a problem when it comes to typical cookie baking. AND, I don't have any butter. Hm. Well, positive? Improvisation!

Solutions?
Fast recipe that doesn't take long to literally throw together and that doesn't include ingredients that I don't have (DUH). I can study while it bakes. Enjoy the result and study with yummy cookies by my side.




Here is my take on a classic. No eggs. Used yogurt as a protein component. Used raisins and craisins instead of the classic chocolate chips. Used oats instead of a lot of flour. Used canola oil instead of butter.

YUM. 

Delicious cookies.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies



1 cup Whole wheat flour  
1 cup Rolled oats
1/ tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of salt
1/2 tsp Baking Soda 
1/2 cup Raisins 
1/4 cup Craisins 
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup Canola oil 
2/3 cup Brown Sugar 
½ cup plain fat/lactose free yogurt
1 tsp Vanilla Extract



  1. Preheat the oven to 350F
  2. Sift the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a mixing bowl.
  3. Add the raisins, craisins, nutmeg and cinnamon to the sifted mixture.
  4. Mix the canola oil, brown sugar, yogurt and vanilla together. Mix well- get rid of those pesky sugar lumps!
  5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient mixing bowl and combine it well
  6. Place parchment paper on cookie sheet. Use a spoon (or your hands) and shape the cookies into 1 inch diameter balls. Place them evenly apart on the cookie sheet.
  7. Bake for approximately 15 minutes.
  8. Cool on cooling rack. I had more than one cookie sheet worth of dough so I put another batch in the oven as the first batch cools.


Enjoy these cookies with a delicious cup of milk (regular, almond, soy, rice or coconut!) or a yummy latte!

Starbucks extra hot skinny soy peppermint mocha= study treat. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...