Sunday 10 February 2013

Study Break Done Right.

What happens when you don't treat your brain right! Well, at least to me- I'll be in the library looking exactly like this! :)


As a student studying is a normal part of my everyday routine. I love what I study and for the most part I find it fairly interesting (disclaimer: although there are many-a-times when having to memorize little itty bitty proteins gets on my nerves). Over the years I think I have become a better, smarter studier because rather than sitting for 14 hours straight staring at a page and hoping that my tired brain will magically absorb something, I study for shorter periods then refuel with breaks, fitting in things I love throughout the day and making time for things that matter most to me. It's important also, to refuel students well-worn brains with proper meals! It not only is good for you but helps to keep you energized and ready to absorb all the knowledge you need!

YUM.

Lately, I have been trying to venture out into the bean world. First stop? Lentils. I usually associate these legumes with southwest Asian cooking where they are most commonly combined with rice or used on their own in soups or a wide variety of side dishes. Vegetarians often use lentils because they're an excellent source of protein and dietary fiber. There are a wide variety of types that range in colour and taste. Also, when I was reading about lentils (yes, I read about food) I found out that apparently they are tryspin inhibitors. Trypsin is an enzyme that contributes to the breakdown of protein in the body. They also contain many phylates which reduce the bioavailability of dietary minerals! Who knew lentils had some weird negative properties! Anyways- they are yummy and I will continue to eat them. So should you ;)


Light Lentil Salad
2 celery stalks
large (3 cups?) amount of spinach/mixed greens
1/2 cup pardina lentils (cooked)
1/2 orange bell pepper
1/4 cup corn kernels (frozen)
1 tbsp craisins
fresh cilantro

Sweet Citrus Dressing
1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
1 tbsp honey 
1 tbsp lemon juice

Begin by chopping the celery and combining it in a nice salad with the spinach and mixed greens. Place the corn on microwavable bowl, cover and microwave for 1 min. Chop the bell pepper into bite size pieces.
Note: there is an amazing way that I learned to chop a bell pepper from the amazing Gordon Ramsey:   - Slice the stem so that you can sit the pepper on its head flat.
- Use a nice, sharp knife and slice from the bottom to the top (that is flat on the cutting board) while stabilizing the pepper with your hand.
This allows you to shave off the white connective tissue of the pepper that is really tasteless and enables you to avoid any of those pesky seeds! In the end you should be left with the white tissue "caging" the seeds.
Add pepper pieces and corn to salad bowl. Add craisins. Chop cilantro for garnish- make sure to bunch them as much as possible when cutting and don't chop them to death! You'll loose some of their fresh taste to the cutting board. That would just be sad.


For the dressing, combine all ingredients into a small mixing bowl. Whisk them together with miniature whisk (if you have one) or a fork! Make sure to taste as you add the honey and lemon to make it suit your taste buds! Add the dressing when you're ready to eat and enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...