Saturday 25 October 2014

Mexican Inspired Lunch Bowl



When I think of Mexican food, colourful and vibrant ingredients come to mind. I love the creative use of interesting cuts of meat often incorporated and their wide variety of spices. Growing up I basically considered Taco Bell and a good ol' plate of nachos "Mexican food" but boy oh boy, was I deceived. I wouldn't consider myself any type of expert in Mexican cuisine, but from my limited experience of exploring this culinary culture, my opinions have changed dramatically.





Fresh.



Creative.



Flavourful.



Exciting.



Adjectives that can easily be used to describe good Mexican food. Words that you don't typically think of with the run of the mill taco chips and with pseudo-cheese for dip.




OH OH OH If you're ever in Las Vegas, make sure to check out Tacos El Gordo. Cheap. Delicious. Authentic. My siblings and I stumbled across it and were pleasantly surprised at their menu. Needless to say, I ate a numberrr of delicious tacos there. Definitely worth a visit,,,,or two,,,,or three.:)





1 Large sweet onion
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp your favourite hot sauce
1 tbsp Paprika

1 Large egg

1 half ripe avocado
1 tomato

1 bunch fresh cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

1. Dice onion and place in a frying pan. Saute until softened (if you put the lid on, this will take less time and oil)

2. Add the tomato paste, hot sauce and paprika. If you did not put the lid on the frying pan you may want to add 1-2tbsp of water in order to deglaze the pan.

3. Once the onions are soften and then mixture is well combined, remove the pan from heat and set aside.

4. In another pan, crack the egg and let cook until soft and runny. 

5. While waiting for the egg to cook, dice the tomato and half avocado. You may also wash and chop the cilantro.

6. Place the onions in a bowl, followed by the diced tomato. When the egg is done place it on top, making sure not to break the yoke yet! Add the avocado.

7. Finish with cilantro, salt and pepper! Enjoy!


:)











1 comment:

  1. I get what you’re saying, Hannah. There aren’t enough adjectives to describe how delightful those authentic Mexican dishes are. Sure, a good ol' plate of nachos and tacos are good, but they pale in comparison once you get to explore the other options that Mexican cuisines could offer. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and recipe with us!

    Diane Baker @ Alejandra’s Restaurant

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...